On my way to the arcades on Montmartre, I was side tracked (like a good flaneur) into a little trip through Les Halles to the Pompidou, to get a Croque Madame at the Cavalier Bleu. Les Halles, I think, is the modern equivalent to the old Paris Arcades. Arched glass and steel provide natural light in its upper floors, and the whole structure is laid out internally to mirror a busy market square. It was too early for me to get any good crowd shots, so I took some outdoor shots. I tried to capture the angle of the light on the various geometric shapes formed by the buildings first, then I got sidetracked into attempting to take some "mirror" shots with a large plate glass window I found. I also attempted a couple shots with a large, old-fashioned gothic structure on one side of the frame, and a modern equivalent on the other. Later I wandered to the Pompidou and took a few shots up the large steel stairs there, trying to get some interesting layers happening.
Here's my favorite general "morning at Les Halles" shot. Note how the three curvilinear structures on the left line up to make an "S":

This is my favorite "light on cool looking building" type shots. I lined up the white curved arches with the green portico, like in the last shot with the stairs, but the part I like is the little triangle panels on the building in the background, the way they catch the angle of the light coming in from the upper left:

Then I thought this might be a better way to frame it:

Again, just trying to get the most interesting geometrical combinations in one frame:

Here's an attempt at a new/old mirror shot, divided down the middle:

Here's an attempt at a mirror shot. I got the church to reflect over a window, and you can see the street beyond through the window as well:

Here's my favorite of the steel stairs photos I took at the Pompidou:
No comments:
Post a Comment