On Wednesday, I attended an event at Le Bon Marché to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of the first Cannes film festival, billed as a photo exhibition. Indeed, marvelously blown up photographs of various film luminaries were exhibited, yet I was left cold by it all. The photographs were merely documentary. True, the people depicted in them were notable, but essentially they gave me the impression of being a catalog of other people's summer vacation photos. As a friend of mine observed, it was like sampling "canned Cannes."
Still, on the way in I snapped a fairly good shot of the street running by Le Bon Marché
, and I wanted to share it here. I like how the yellow light and the yellow sign contrast with the cool blue of the evening sky, and the crowdedness of the vanishing point on the lower left contrasting with the blank facade. The illusion of depth to the photographic space comes across strongly.
No comments:
Post a Comment