Monday, May 28, 2007

Early Graffiti Shots (12/38)

I became interested in photographing graffiti when I started looking for interesting photographs on my commute in the metro. I was thinking about how to picture my experience of the trains, and it occurred to me what a large part of the experience the graffiti was. I was also interested in doing so because of the Bruce Davidson photography we were looking at, including the Subway show of his, which I found online. The way the spaces in Subway are made dark and intimidating, but at the same time intimate, made me wonder about graffiti art and graffiti artists. I was lucky enough to meet a graffiti artist through a friend, who showed me some pieces and took me to a good spot third week - but more on that later. For now I was just trying to communicate a few things I noticed about the way graffiti changes spaces, or the way placement affects the meaning of an image.

No comments: