Monday, May 28, 2007

Graffiti at the Frigos (16/38)

With my new interest in Graffiti, I decided to go to the Frigos and photograph some of the excellent work there. I found it perfect for my purposes. What was once a giant meat warehouse has been transformed into a vibrant hive of artistic community and life, and much of this transformation is due to the work of the taggers. By ornamenting every available nook and cranny of the common spaces with tags, emblems and illustrations, the taggers have turned a once dead, public, commercial space (literally, a cold space) into a lurid, dark, living space. The beautiful colors and interesting shadows gave me a lot to work with in constructing my photographic representation of this space. I hope with these photographs to effect the viewer in the same way that I was effected by the work I saw.

No comments: